Sherry Turkle challenges us to keep things in perspective and make sure that technology is not changing our lives in ways which we will come to regret.
Have a conversation about where our infatuation with technology is taking us and, after having that conversation with another participant, collectively add a comment in the comment section.
Are you a butcher, a baker, a candlestick maker? Do you need to be the master of your business destiny and make full use of all those internet tools you have heard will give you a presence online, an extra edge and ensure that you can be found by those who now micromanage using their iphones, ipads and computers.
If you need to launch yourself online this is the course for you. We will work together to determine which tools are going to benefit you and your business. We will use the easily managed WordPress, blogging technology to establish an interactive web site that connects you to Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Pinterest or whatever other programs meet your specific needs.
Your six week journey, using your own computer, connected to our WiFi will take you on an adventure using WordPress. WordPress is an Open Source software system used by millions of people around the world to create beautiful websites and blogs. Originally WordPress was blogging software but since its creation a lot has changed. Today it is used by almost everyone looking to build a website, and has no real limit as to what can be done with a bit of learning. It is completely customisable by the use of themes and plugins; which can be easily downloaded from the WordPress site or from hundreds of other places around the web.
By the end of the course you will have:
- been guided, step by step, to set up a blog that is easy to administer and individualistically customize.
- made use of post and pages
- learned how to use widgets
- developed link-building Strategies
- discovered that you can have multiple users posting on your site
- come to understand safe cyber practices
- developed content writing skills
- learned how to create a digital portfolio
- discovered diverse, imaginative web applications to meet individual needs
- understood how to monetize your blog and promote your business
- learned about building niche communities and online groups
- helped to grow a Continuing Ed WordPress Community
- know more about Social Media Optimization
- And much more…
Aside from coming away with a greater understanding of the potentiality of web applications you will have skills that could be applied, working as, amongst other things, a publicist, freelance blog writer, a digital skills trainer, writing tech news for a company or as a web designer
This course suits a diverse range of individuals. Aside from butchers, bakers and candlestick makers this course will suit a range of visual artists seeking to establish an online gallery presence. It will also be ideal for hobbyists and those wanted to reach out and connect and build niche communities.
Heather Blakey has had over fifteen years experience building online communities using web based technologies. She first began to blog in 1999 when she was a columnist for Cathy Atherton’s Prairie Den and went on to demonstrate the potential of blogging. She wrote articles such as Zen and the Art of Team Blogging and worked in schools across Victoria, Australia, promoting the use of blogs to engage students and enable them to meet and be heard by people with similar interests. Global 2 is phase two of Global Teacher/Global Student, a pioneering blogging environment built by Heather Blakey, for the Victorian Education Department, in 2006.
The Wild Garden Advent Calendar, created in 2007, explored the use of web based technology and amazingly, much of it is very current. The creative work of women who Heather Blakey has mentored and guided reveals just what can be birthed in this environment.
Perhaps you still don’t know what a blog is. Maybe you don’t know a tweet from a widget or how to link to others. It could be that you simply need the hand of a creative midwife to help you realize your creative potentiality. It so happens that Heather is offering private mentoring for those who want to use blogging for educational, artistic or business purposes. You can work with Heather and become familiar with all those tools people are using. You can learn about
- Basic blog construction using WordPress
- Creating digital portfolios
- Discover diverse, imaginative web applications to meet individual needs
- Monetizing Your Blog and promoting business
- News-gathering and Research Methodology
- Building niche communities and online groups
- Link-building Strategies
- Social Media Optimization
- And much more…
- Contact heatherblakey at fastmail dot fm for more information
This morning I was browsing through The Age and stumbled upon an article about the dark underbelly of the web.
If I were still working, on a daily basis, with students, I would be using articles like this as a part of clear thinking exercises. I would also be using them to talk about how, just as we should be wary of all sorts of dubious people walking around, in clear daylight, here on earth, so we need to be wary of a percentage of the cyber population.
It is just nous that we educate the population about the darker aspects of society, as it presents itself on earth and in cyber space.
The World of Soul Food
This wonderful, free resource, remains online and is a testimony to collaborative work: THE SOUL FOOD CAFE
Roads Well Travelled
The Wild Garden AdvenTURE Calendar takes people through twenty five steps towards understanding how the internet can be used as an interactive publishing tool. The Wild Garden introduced Soul Food community members to the potential of the web. This was made in 2005 and while there have been rapid developments in social networking in the interim, the Wild Garden provides important insight into the history of what became known as Web 2.
- Check out this beautiful old winery in Central Victoria that is up for sale kingower.wordpress.com 2 years ago
- Some creative stimuli creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2014/01/17/gra… 4 years ago
- Check out this idyllic property in Elphinstone elphinstonepeacespace.wordpress.com 4 years ago
- Be inspired by someone confessing to have Creative Compulsive Disorder creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/12/28/cre… 4 years ago
- The Carrier Theory of Fiction creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/con… 4 years ago
- The law of accretion http://t.co/LRx4N0ubuf 4 years ago
- For anyone who does not like to talk about death this might just be confronting creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/a-p… 4 years ago
- A simple line creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/a-s… 4 years ago
- Oblique strategies are cool creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/obl… 4 years ago
- Check out creativegoldfieldsbloggers.com/2013/11/24/div… 4 years ago
- 7,612 hits