One morning long before
Grown ups had raised a blind
I crept down to the shore
To see what I could find
The tide must never sleep
Because, during the dark
It rises up to sweep
The beach of every mark
There before me lay
Shells in an endless line
And all along the bay
No footprints showed but mine
Sometimes they vanished when
I walked into the sea,
And then appeared again,
As if I were the first to land
On an undiscovered shore,
Which my footprints on the sand
Captured without a war.
by Geoffrey Dutton
Leaving Digital Footprints and Having Digital Tatoos
The world has changed radically since this poem was written. As Jaun Enriquez points out in this video we need to be careful how we walk and stop to consider how we are identifying ourselves and leaving permanent traces behind.
Stop to contemplate your current footprints in cyber space. To really demonstrate the weight of your print try the following exercise.
Make a footprint take off your shoes and socks and put your foot on your journal page. Trace your foot and then carefully draw in the toenails. OR Use the template provided!
Meditate upon your footprint and consider some of the digital footprints that you have left behind, the things that people will find out about you if they ‘Google’ your name. Take a moment and Google yourself!
On each toe, write an impression that you have made, a footprint that you have left behind.
Choose one toe and circle it. On the sole of your foot write more information about this particular event and why it stands out.
Now consider the footprints you are knowingly prepared to leave behind.
Sherry Turkle challenges us to keep things in perspective and make sure that technology is not changing our lives in ways which we will come to regret.
Have a conversation about where our infatuation with technology is taking us and, after having that conversation with another participant, collectively add a comment in the comment section.
Are you a butcher, a baker, a candlestick maker? Do you need to be the master of your business destiny and make full use of all those internet tools you have heard will give you a presence online, an extra edge and ensure that you can be found by those who now micromanage using their iphones, ipads and computers.
If you need to launch yourself online this is the course for you. We will work together to determine which tools are going to benefit you and your business. We will use the easily managed WordPress, blogging technology to establish an interactive web site that connects you to Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Pinterest or whatever other programs meet your specific needs.
Your six week journey, using your own computer, connected to our WiFi will take you on an adventure using WordPress. WordPress is an Open Source software system used by millions of people around the world to create beautiful websites and blogs. Originally WordPress was blogging software but since its creation a lot has changed. Today it is used by almost everyone looking to build a website, and has no real limit as to what can be done with a bit of learning. It is completely customisable by the use of themes and plugins; which can be easily downloaded from the WordPress site or from hundreds of other places around the web.
By the end of the course you will have:
- been guided, step by step, to set up a blog that is easy to administer and individualistically customize.
- made use of post and pages
- learned how to use widgets
- developed link-building Strategies
- discovered that you can have multiple users posting on your site
- come to understand safe cyber practices
- developed content writing skills
- learned how to create a digital portfolio
- discovered diverse, imaginative web applications to meet individual needs
- understood how to monetize your blog and promote your business
- learned about building niche communities and online groups
- helped to grow a Continuing Ed WordPress Community
- know more about Social Media Optimization
- And much more…
Aside from coming away with a greater understanding of the potentiality of web applications you will have skills that could be applied, working as, amongst other things, a publicist, freelance blog writer, a digital skills trainer, writing tech news for a company or as a web designer
This course suits a diverse range of individuals. Aside from butchers, bakers and candlestick makers this course will suit a range of visual artists seeking to establish an online gallery presence. It will also be ideal for hobbyists and those wanted to reach out and connect and build niche communities.
Heather Blakey is currently in the process of creating a hub to preserve and showcase the work of Continuing Education, Castlemaine, and in particular the Art Pathways Course.
Creative Goldfields Blogging is a platform for showcasing the diverse work that can be done using blogging technology.
Heather has been working with blogging technology since 1999. To discuss unique, highly individual ways of applying blogging technology and social media applications you can contact Heather via heatherblakey at fastmail dot net.
The World of Soul Food
This wonderful, free resource, remains online and is a testimony to collaborative work: THE SOUL FOOD CAFE
Roads Well Travelled
The Wild Garden AdvenTURE Calendar takes people through twenty five steps towards understanding how the internet can be used as an interactive publishing tool. The Wild Garden introduced Soul Food community members to the potential of the web. This was made in 2005 and while there have been rapid developments in social networking in the interim, the Wild Garden provides important insight into the history of what became known as Web 2.
- Check out this beautiful old winery in Central Victoria that is up for sale kingower.wordpress.com 2 years ago
- Some creative stimuli creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2014/01/17/gra… 4 years ago
- Check out this idyllic property in Elphinstone elphinstonepeacespace.wordpress.com 4 years ago
- Be inspired by someone confessing to have Creative Compulsive Disorder creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/12/28/cre… 4 years ago
- The Carrier Theory of Fiction creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/12/02/con… 4 years ago
- The law of accretion http://t.co/LRx4N0ubuf 4 years ago
- For anyone who does not like to talk about death this might just be confronting creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/11/30/a-p… 4 years ago
- A simple line creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/11/29/a-s… 4 years ago
- Oblique strategies are cool creativeforaging.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/obl… 4 years ago
- Check out creativegoldfieldsbloggers.com/2013/11/24/div… 4 years ago
- 7,629 hits