Creativity is ALL that Matters
I cannot watch this video by Sir Ken Robinson too often. It reminds and directs me as I make decisions about what I want to do now that I have left the mainstream work-place. I want to go on challenging the way we educate kids by offering ideas in forums like this and go on offering bright ideas and suggestions about all sorts of unrelated things.
Sir Ken Robinson argues that we don’t get the best out of people because we’ve been educated to become good workers, rather than creative thinkers. Students with restless minds and bodies — far from being cultivated for their energy and curiosity — are ignored or even stigmatized, with terrible consequences. “We are educating people out of their creativity,” Robinson says. It’s a message with deep resonance.
Robinson’s TEDTalk has been distributed widely around the Web since its release in June 2006.
Watch the talk and consider the following:
- Did school make you frightened of being wrong?
- What have some of your mistakes taught you?
- Was the thing you are good at valued at school?
- How did you discover and nourish your talent?
- How are you preparing yourself for the unknown future?